Moles, Identifying Moles and Preventing Damage.Keith
Moles, Identifying Mole damage and Preventing it.
- Moles normally feed on insect pests, soil organisms and grubs including helpful ones like worms.
- Moles dig deep. Their tunnels are usually at ten inches underground, unless they’re scanning the surface in search of a mate. Search your soil and lawn for tunnels. They look like raised cone-shaped swellings in yourgarden.
- Surface tunnels or ridges also are an indication moles are present.
CONTROL AND PREVENTION
HOW TO GET RID OF MOLES
- Sprinkling dried blood, tobacco on the ground is effective.You must re-apply after some rain.
- Cats walking through a flower bed is a very effective deterrent to these rodents.
- Moles are carnivores so lawns rich in grubs and insects attract them. When their food is seasoned with castor oil, they will go elsewhere to eat. Mix a spray of 3 parts castor oil to 1 part washing up liquid; use 4 tablespoons of this brew in a gallon of water, and soak the tunnels and entrances.
- Dip an ear of corn in roofing tar and put in a mole tunnel. They detest the smell of tar, and you’ll block their escape.
- Sprinkle powdered red pepper in tunnel entrances.
- Sprinkle coffee grounds on the soil preventing them from tunneling.
- If moles persist the final solution is trapping. This is often the only way to remove them. Use a humane trap, and release the moles at least 5 miles from your home in a rural area away from someone else’s garden.
- Check out your garden soil for pests; if you have a lot of moles, you probably have an abundance of grubs and bugs. Spray your lawns with milky spore disease or beneficial nematodes to remove the grubs.
- If you want to protect certain plants, dig a 2- to 3-foot hole and line the sides and bottom of the hole with wire mesh. Fill the hole with soil and plant.
- Where you want bulbs, make a small cage of ½-inch mesh screen. Put several bulbs inside, root plate down and bury the entire cage at the correct depth. Rodents won’t be able to chew through, but roots and stems can grow out.